Friday, January 23, 2009

It's snowing!!!


It seems the only thing I forgot to pack were Joe's socks. Drat. It's day seven - I think. The spa has convinced me to change my look. This should be fun. But, I digress. Glorious sea days - I even got a couple days in the sun. We've attempted to be good when it comes to eating, but Fernando keeps bringing me chocolate croissants whenever he sees me. STOP. They are my favorite, however. Ah yes, and Ramon, the room steward leaves me an excessive amount of chocolate every night. It's a plot.

I spent the day in the Falkland Islands. We took an offroad trip to Volunteer Point to see the penguins. First we had to fit into our four-wheel drive cars. I say that because I had to give up my front seat because of one of the passengers who was too big to fit into any other vehicle. It was the only spot to wedge him in. It turned out well, though as I shared a back seat with another Kappa Alpha Theta; what a small world.

The most glorious were the King penguins. They stand between three and four foot tall and don't mind a whit that you're watching them. Some even oblige by preening for you and showing off. If I eat more I'll really be able to do the penguin walk. There were also Gentoo and Jackass penguins - fun to watch but not as regal. We got there by four-wheel drive overland, through ruts and mud and even lost our front bumper. Bummer for the driver - it was her boss' car.

Today is a real treat. We're sailing around Elephant Island in the South Shetlands. There's a gentle snowfall and spectacular views. We're blessed in that it is often too foggy to see anything. We're fortunate to have a balcony, so we're sheltered from much of the wind. But, an Aran Island sweater, a goretex jacket, North Face pants, hat and gloves - heck, it's almost balmy. The down side, of course, is that the sweatpants I packed for Joe are apparently our daughters. It was a stretch (literally) to get them pulled up to Joe's waist. Drat.

Well, it's lunch time, heaven forbid we miss one. And, my internet minutes are fleeting. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventure! Sounds like a PERFECT trip. Have a dessert or two for your landlocked girlfriends!

    Enjoy! Debba / www.girlfriendology.com

    ReplyDelete