Sunday, January 25, 2009

Antarctic Peninsula


What could be more glorious for a birthday than sailing through the Antarctic Peninsula. Since it's my birthday I decided to blow off my morning workout, but it would be silly to sleep through these vistas (or is that vistae)? The sun has shown through the clouds; it's just like I anticipated it would look, only more so. At one point we were going so slowly that the mountains reflected in the water. I'm not sure a $$$ camera could do it justice, but my point and shoot surely doesn't.

Joe ordered me a champagne breakfast with more food than four people could eat - salmon that looked like a rose, crab legs, broiled tomoateos, some strange asian slaw, fruit galore and of course, some tasty sweets.

The temperature is a little above freezing and it's quite pleasant outside, as long as you're dressed within an inch of your life. They warn about sunburn. My geographical ignorance didn't allow for mountains - but they're here. The fog cuts off the top of them, but someplaces look like the Rockies with much more snow.

We met another crew member, Edgar, from our ill-fated cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Several nightmares emanated from that cruise, one of them being terrible food. Edgar was our waiter. He says that memorable passengers stand out and he remembers them. I'm hoping it's because Joe's in a wheelchair, not that we complained loudly about the food.

And, p.s. I got my hair makeover. I've also tried to have highlights that look natural; not this time, baby. I've got chunks of "copper" and "blonde." This morning when I got up, I looked like a rockhopper penguin. Joe was kind enough to comment that he like the color. The last time i got it cut short, he told me several times he hated it. I believe good friends Barb and Patty suggested to him that he might work for more tact. It's working, ladies.

And another p.s. If I haven't mentioned how much I love Joe, here it is. He has made this a magical birthday and given me a wonderful life. I love him dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment