Friday, October 22, 2010

When in Rome . . .

I decided to forego the usual sights; I mean once you've seen St Peter's, how interesting can the rest be. The Trevi Countain is overrated - OK, I'm just being cute. But, based on my upbringing in a funeral home, I decided to tour the catacombs. What a disappointment! I wanted to see bones and skulls and stuff. Ooops. Wrong catacombs. We saw a sterilized version and then back on the bus. Then off the bus, then back on the bus, then off the bus. And, so the day went. We did visit the summer village of the Pope. Casel Gondolfo - a lovely little village with a great fresh bread store where I availed myself of some hot fresh bread that was a tad salty and crunchy. Then off to lunch. it was billed as a farm house but was really a high-priced B&B. Two of the tour rats helped to make the pasta and then we devoured a fairly good lunch. Of course, anything you eat off the ship is fairly good compared to food on the ship. The tour guide was great; she had bronchitis and kept coughing and sneezing into the mike. Oh yes, and even though the tour said it was along the Appian Way, what they really meant was along the new Appian Way, which is a four-lane highway. The bus did slow for pictures as we crossed the old Appian Way. I hope I remember what the picture is when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment