Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year?!?


It's December 30 - almost New Year's Eve. I think back to all the one's that have come and gone and I'm not sure I can remember many of them. Wonder why! I do remember last year's. Joe, Nick and Maggie and I were on a South Pacific cruise. We spent Christmas Eve at Easter Island and made it to Peru for New Year's. I went to Machu Picchu, breathed the rarified air and returned to the ship for the celebration. Joe and I even stayed up for the celebration which included the traditional champagne fountain. There may even be pictures of me pouring some of the champagne.

Another I remember is one spent in New York City with my intrepid friend, Mary. Planning ahead, we knew we had to have black-eyed peas and cornbread. There aren't a lot of shopping opportunities under the Verrazano Bridge. Our first mistake was looking for a ham bone in a Jewish deli. Undeterred, we finally found one and were able to talk a fast food restaurant out of some chopped onions. The piece de resistance was the stale corn muffins we bought at a Quicky Mart right by the subway.

Prepared for New Year's Eve, we dolled up in our fur coats, caught an off-Broadway play and joined the throng in Times Square. About two hours before midnight, we decided we should leave and watch the festivities on TV rather than being caught in the crowds. Her son gave us each a champagne bottle for protection and off we went to the subway. We were staying at Ft Hamilton and thought we'd work our way back there by way of Chinatown/Little Italy. I'm not sure why that sounded like a good idea. Undaunted, we got to Chinatown; it was cold and obviously pitch black. Chinatown looks entirely different at that hour. We had to step around several guys who didn't quite make New Year's, and then avoid the white body outline of someone who had been shot. Our plan, such as it was, was to find a cozy Italian restaurant where we could watch the ball come down. All were closed for private parties, to which we hadn't been invited. At last some kind restraunteer took us in, and we were able to have a glass of champagne and cheesecake right before the clock struck midnight. I think I remember that one because we made it alive. And besides having to improvise in our tacky kitchen, we did get our black-eyed peas.

I remember roasting chestnuts once (I must have misread the directions) and cooking a live lobster. We've gone out, but it's tough to be the life of the party, when the party goes on forever. We did "do" Vegas one New Year's with our friends Nancy and Bruce. We even saw Gladys Knight and one pip. This was before budget cuts. This year it's steaks and couscous and champagne. Add a nice warm, cheery fire and Joe and I think I've got all the ingredients.

I know if I listed all my blessings in 2008, it would go on forever. Suffice it to say I'm grateful for a loving family and friends, good health and all of God's many blessings. So, if I can't remember the details - so be it. I've got the important stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment