Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's a good day to begin again . . .

It's been a month and a half and I guess I've been hibernating. I've accomplished a couple of things, not in any order of importance. I tackled a couple of long-held squeamish ideas - fish tacos and banana/peanut butter sandwiches. Fish tacos, not so bad. I guess the secret is fried fish and a strong enough cabbage taste to mask the fish. I ate the whole thing! On to the banana/peanut butter. Ooofdah. I'll revisit them as soon as I buy more bananas. Potassium combined with fat. How can that not be delicious.


The second event and far more important was my 45th HS reunion. Why anyone would hold a reunion in SD in the summer is beyond me. In their defense, however, the weather was great. They may have to do more with the fact that we've had a record-breaking heat wave and drought in San Antonio. It's amazing that you can see your HS friends and pick up as if nothing had changed. Why is that? We can laugh, reminisce, and gossip (just a little) and the time goes by so quickly. Too quickly. I believe that should we attend another, one night for the whole class is enough. You've told everyone how well they look and how glad you are to see them and asked what they've been doing and ooohed over their grandchildren. The precious time is investing it with friends from forever. (Notice I did not say, "old friends"). Collectively shared joy and sadness is the foundation of our lives.

My mother was hospitalized when I was in 9th grade, but I don't remember her having "girlfriends." She was in everything - book clubs, PEO, Eastern Star and others. But I don't remember coming home to find her immersed in a friendly cup of coffee with a best friend. I had to learn on my own that girlfriends are what keep you grounded. I hope I can pass this on to my daughter.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to worry about your daughter knowing how important friendships are because she has you to emulate. I am so thankful to be one of your friends from forever!

    ReplyDelete