Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Holy Land

A whirlwind tour of the Holy Land is complete. You can't upload pictures on the ship's computers, so I'll have to do that when we get home. Also, I'm writing this without notes, so I'll fill in later. The first day consisted mostly of getting on and off the bus. We began in Nazareth at the Church of the Annunciation - where Gabriel appeared to Mary. There is a continuing struggle with the Muslims in Nazareth and they are currently protesting because they want to build a mosque adjoining the church. Sound familiar? Then it was off through a thick haze (the guide said not smog, just dust and humidity) to the Sea of Galilee. Up the mount where Christ delivered the Beatitudes, then down to Sea. My left brain was amazed at distances - how far it was from the mount to the sea to Capernaum. I washed my hands in the Sea of Galilee but was distracted from any contemplation by a guy doing figure 8's on his jet ski. From there we visited the ruins of Capernaum, which are under excavation. There is a church built on stilts over what are purported to be the runis of St Peter's mother-in-law's house. I say purportedly because I believe many of the sights in the Holy Land are built on estimations or are simply memorials to the idea. Not that it matters. After that, a wonderful meal at a Kibbutz and a stop at the River Jordan.

Then off to Jerusalem, through the Judean Desert where temperatures were at 38 degrees centigrade. I'm not sure of the conversion, but it was hot regardless. I had not paid attention to the politics and learned later that the agreement to halt building in the West Bank expired at midnight. Now I understand the bulldozers and cement trucks along the side of the road. These week is Succoth (sp?) and it is a week-long holiday. When we arrived in Jerusalem, it was the Priest's Blessing Day, which occurs during Passover and Succoth. We visited the Old City at about 10 p.m. and it was packed with people. The ultra-orthodox Jewish men with hats of every size and fabric made quite a display. Then it was back to the hotel.

Monday was clear and hot. But I shall have to leave y'all handing as Joe and I are off to Egypt in a few minutes. Let me just say that the Holy Spirit is ever-present in the Garden of Gethsemene.

No comments:

Post a Comment